Tuesday 15 September 2015

Living Room Update

I know I said I was going to post while I was away on holiday but it turns out that signal where we were staying was like gold dust. I'm not even sure standing on top of the caravan would have worked! I felt like my arm had been chopped off but I survived. 

Just before I went away, however, I decided to do the living room walls in half wooden slats on the bottom and half wallpaper. I haven't come up with an idea for the wallpaper yet but oh my word what a pain it was measuring out the walls for the slats I needed. 

Measuring a dollhouse wall whilst it is stuck together is extremely difficult especially since I only had a 15cm ruler and have only just found my tape measure. I measured, laid out all the measurements on a separate piece of paper and then placed the wooden slats - made of ice lolly sticks - on top of the measurements and then began sticking together. Told you I was going ice lolly stick mad! 



Unfortunately the glue I had wasn't super glue but instead some weird strong glue which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, being from hobbycraft I thought I'd be on to a winner but apparently not. It really wasn't strong at all. The slats wouldn't stay stuck together and were taking ages to dry so in the end I cut a backing piece of paper for the slats to be glued onto and that seemed to work. I even measured a skewer to go at the top of the slats to act as a kind of border. One side looks good so far but shall have to see how the others go. 



I'm glad I bought Ava sturdier dolls house furniture because the dolls house furni I had already is slowly but surely getting broken so I've put them away until she's older. I finally bought the dining room and living room sets too so it means I can swap out my dolls house stuff for the new stuff. They weren't even that expensive either. 

I'm getting all serious with this DIY Dollhouse stuff. I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to it. There are some really talented people put there!

Psst... I even bought some fat quarters to make some cute curtains. Well, my uber lovely sister, whose a whizz with a sewing machine is going to make some curtains for me. But that's another post for another day. However, here's a sneaky peek at the fabric! 


1 comment:

  1. I don't know about being lolly stick mad - i just think you have gone mad! Glad you are enjoying your Christmas present at last x

    ReplyDelete