Thursday 17 March 2016

One Round a Time

Now that I've posted it to my mum I can blog about it! 

A while ago when I first started crocheting I went into the Church Temple and on one of the tables was the most detailed crochet/lace table cloth/doilie I had ever seen. At that time I'd only just started crocheting, probably hadn't even started at that point actually come to think of it, and I thought to myself, "there's no way on earth I would ever be able to make anything as beautiful and as detailed as this". It was honestly so delicate and pretty.

But. That was over 2 years ago now and as time has gone by and I've become a lot more developed in my crochet skills, although not perfect, although who ever is, I decided that now was the right time to try my hand at a doilie. I was looking on my obsession - Pinterest - for one that was probably a little easy and every single one I saw I thought, "there's no way I can do this", but, as I read the diagrams and read the stitches needed I realised that I could in fact do them! 


It helped that I stopped looking at the bigger picture and just focused on one round at a time. I realised that if I did exactly as the pattern told me that it would all work out like the picture. And this, is what I ended up with. 


Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and to a seasoned crocheter they'll be able to see the faults and floors. However, for my first doilie, first time using crochet thread and first time reading an intricate diagram I think I did pretty well. Even my mum was impressed. I had to iron it so many times and place it flat between two cardboard pieces to make sure it didn't get bent on the post :D 

I can't wait to start on my next one now! Unfortunately I may have a bit of a problem....


2 comments:

  1. maybe you should get Ava one of those pin dolls that you can work round and round, although she might be a bit young yet. I think my doillie is beautiful ad so does my friend, Heron, who was nicely surprised that it had been completed by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well thank you to Heron I think! :) I am a woman of many talents I guess. Haha. I've never heard of those dolls but I shall have a gander. Even Finn (Bridget's grandson) wants to try his hand at it, he's 3! :D I love how it seems to be so popular now because gifted talents like crochet and knitting really shouldn't die out.

    You need to measure your table! :D xx

    ReplyDelete